I’ve been giving myself haircuts for years and the very first hair clipper I’ve used was the Oster Classic 76. Before the quieter kids hair clippers were developed, I was using the Oster 76 to trim my sons’ hair during the weekends. It’s a marvelous hair clipper and one that’s incredibly well designed. You can just feel its solidness and reliability by holding it in your heads.
So far my experiences with the Oster Classic 76 trimmers have been nothing short of amazing, but let’s look at the details:
- Heavy duty — When you pick these up, it’s immediately clear that they are a high quality tool built to last. No cheap plastic here, just nice, beefy metal.
- Powerful — These things really plow through thick hair. The motor never shows any sign of strain or seizing up like the cheap clippers do. This is really important if you want a nice clean, even cut.
- High quality blades — You can use plastic or metal blades. The metal ones are a little more expensive but they give you a more polished cut. You can use blades purchased from your local beauty shop or online. The base model comes with two blades which are enough to get you started.
- Great cord — The Classic 76 comes with a nice long, substantial cord. It doesn’t get all tangled up and twisted which always drove me nuts with my old cheapo plastic trimmers.
- Completely serviceable — These things were built to last, but if something does break you don’t have to throw them away. You can easily replace the main power switch, the power cord, the clipper lever or any of the brush sets yourself. With the cheap plastic trimmers when they break, that’s it; into the trash can they go.
- Made in the USA — The Classic 76 is made right here in America, not some sweatshop in China. I always buy products made in America whenever I can.
- Very loud — This doesn’t bother me at all, but my wife isn’t too keen on the noise this thing makes. She says it sounds like I’m cutting my hair with a band saw.
- Runs hot — If you run this thing too long it will get hot since it has a metal body. It’s usually not an issue though if you’re just doing one haircut.
Here’s an interesting video showing the Oster 76 Classic in action.
If you’re looking for a pair of clippers that are going to last, it’s hard to go wrong with the Classic 76. I’ve tried every brand out there and none of them hold a candle to these. They are heavy duty, gives you professional quality results, and come with a ton of blade options. Put it this way, if I was a professional barber, I’d want these in my shop! Highly recommended.
Price Alert: Currently Amazon.com is offering free shipping and a generous 44% discount for the Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper. This is a massive savings of $83 from the usual retail price so be sure to take advantage of this offer while it lasts!